Adding Permissions on the IPR License Bulk Upload sheet
Use the metadata sheet, downloadable from the Bulk Upload page, to assign all rights to your titles.
After adding in the bibliographic data for your titles (i.e. ISBN-13, title, author, publication date, etc), you will need to specify which permissions are available for each title.
You will be able to set several parameters: type, portion, price, maximum amount of copies
1) The IPR License website currently distinguishes 6 different types of permission:
Allow pay-per-use purchase for photocopies for general business or academic use.
- Electronic Course Materials
Allow pay-per-use purchase for use in electronic course materials.
- Print Course Materials
Allow pay-per-use purchase for use in print course materials.
- Other Digital Publications
Allow pay-per-use purchase for use in other digital publications.
- Other Print Publications
Allow pay-per-use purchase for use in other print publications.
- Content Shared Electronically
Allow pay-per-use purchase for use with content shared electronically.
2) There are 4 portion types you can set as available for each title:
- Quote / Min - Max word count
Define the parameters for length of a quote covered by a permission
- Per chapter
Whether the use of a whole chapter is available for permission
- Per page
Whether the use of a whole page is available for permission
- Per figure / illustration
Whether the use of a figure/illustration is available for permission
3) You can set a different price for each permission type and portion, should you wish to do so.
Price to purchase permission. NB: all listed in GBP.
4) Finally, you can also set a limit to the amount of copies a permission can be used in
And here's how you add the permissions on to the metadata sheet:
- Under category types (i.e. 'Other Digital Publications'), list countries and languages
- Refer to 'Adding Rights' for instructions how to show which countries and languages are available
- Under 'Permissions', list portions of permission available (quote, page, chapter, figure)
- See 'Codes' tab for list of codes
- Separate codes with ||
- Examples are at bottom of page
- Again, under the 'Permissions' header, list the pricing by each portion
- If you want to charge £500.00 for use of a figure, enter a semi-colon (;) by the F, and type 500.00. - If you do not want to set prices, skip this step.
- Please note: All prices are in GBP (£/pound sterling): list them as numbers only.
- Under 'Maximum no. copies', list a maximum number of copies of your permission can be used in.
- It's important to limit the license so that someone purchasing a permission cannot use it indefinitely
Examples of ways to list permissions available for your titles
- If you want to list different prices for each option, you can do something like this:
Q(200); 20.00 || P; 90.00 || C; 400.00 || F; 500.00
This means: A quote of up to 200 words will cost 20 GBP, the price for a whole page is 90 GBP, the whole chapter is available at 400 GBP and a figure/image will cost 500 GBP
- If you want to make a permission available but not list a price, you just leave the price option blank:
Q(0-200) || P || C || F; 500.00
- And if, for example, you don't want to sell permissions for figures, you just leave it out completely:
Q(0-200) || P || C
- You could also list different prices for different lengths of quote:
Q(0-200); 20.00 || Q(201-500); 30.00 || P